Marjorie Otto

Marjorie Otto can be reached at motto@lillienews.com, or at 651-748-7816.

Mon
19
Jun

Smaller homes trying to be big on the East Side


A new development, a tiny home community called The East Yard, will be located at 627 Bush Ave., on a strip of land between Bush Avenue and the railroad tracks in the Railroad Island neighborhood. Marjorie Otto/Review

The East Side appears to be a popular spot for small-to-tiny home developments.

Mon
19
Jun

Tuskegee Airman’s legacy lives on at Farnsworth Aerospace


After hearing about the Col. Kenneth Wofford mural at Farnsworth Upper Campus, LaVone Kay, center, from the CAF Red Tail Squadron, contacted upper campus Principal Hamilton Bell, left, about donating Wofford’s uniform to be on display at the school. Keith Baker, right, was a family friend of Wofford’s and took care of the uniform after the Wofford family donated it to the CAF Red Tail Squadron. Wofford was a Tuskegee Airman who flew missions in the Korean and Vietnam wars; in his post-U.S. Airforce life he visited Farnsworth many times and interacted with students. Marjorie Otto/Review

Uniform donated to honor late pilot

Tue
30
May

Progressive Baptist Church pastor retires after 48 years


Rev. Dr. Earl F. Miller, pictured here with his wife Eunice Miller, is retiring after 48 years in ministry, 24 of which were spent with Progressive Baptist Church on the East Side.

Rev. Dr. Earl F. Miller’s son will take over leadership of church

 

Mon
22
May

Mural unveiled at Farnsworth Aerospace School


The mural celebrating Tuskegee Airman Col. Kenneth Wofford, who often visited the Farnsworth Schools, was originally commissioned by the Air Force Association, Rawlings Chapter. The association decided to house the mural at Farnsworth after the mural’s original home was abruptly closed

Celebrates late Tuskegee Airman Col. Kenneth Wofford

A piece of history has found a home at the Farnsworth Aerospace School Upper Campus.

Mon
15
May

Orchard planted at Village on Rivoli funded by $50,000 Super Bowl grant


Volunteers from Pentair, Urban Roots and City Academy planted some 60 fruit trees May 9, creating an orchard at the Village on Rivoli housing development. The orchard was paid for with a $50,000 grant from the Minnesota Super Bowl Host Committee.

 

The Minnesota Super Bowl Host Committee awarded Dayton’s Bluff Neighborhood Housing Services a $50,000 grant to create a long-dreamed-about orchard at the Village on Rivoli housing development.

Mon
08
May

The prevailing Windigos


The Windigos wind energy team from Farnsworth 5-8 school is currently raising funds for a trip to Anaheim, California, to compete in the National Renewable Energy KidWind Challenge at the American Wind Energy Association’s conference at the end of the month.

Farnsworth team invited to national wind turbine competition

 

Mon
08
May

A home to connect to culture


Indigenous Roots/Kalpulli Yaocenoxtli, a Mexica-Nahua dance group, has performed on the East Side for about 10 years.

New Indigenous Roots Cultural Arts Center opens May 13

Mon
08
May

Release the goats!


Goats were released into Indian Mounds Regional Park on May 2 to help graze away the invasive plant species in the park. The effort is a part of a partnership between St. Paul Natural Resources and the Great River Passage to restore foliage along the Mississippi River to the original, native plants.

Indian Mounds Regional Park has some new, friendly workers​

St. Paul has hired some 30 to 40 new employees — a flock of goats. 

Tue
02
May

Payne-Phalen Community Council annual meeting gets tense over bylaws


The city of St. Paul consists of 7 wards and 17 district councils. The district councils are separate from city government and are a liaison between community members and their city council representative.

Renamed council also reduces number of board seats

Tue
02
May

Two East Side teachers finalists for Teacher of the Year


Ong Xiong, a kindergarten teacher at Phalen Lake Hmong Studies Magnet, teaches in a dual immersion Hmong classroom, where 90 percent of the students’ materials are taught in Hmong and the other 10 percent are taught in English.

Phalen Lake teacher finds passion in protecting Hmong language

Walking into her kindergarten classroom at Phalen Lake Hmong Studies Magnet, Ong Xiong laughs about how busy her students keep her.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Marjorie Otto
Comment Here