South-West area residents can file for 2018 elections May 22

Candidate filing for the 2018 election will be open May 22 through June 5 for individuals to have their names on the ballot for primaries. The filing period for elections where a primary is not needed will open July 31.


The offices up for re-election in 2018 from the South-West Review coverage area include:

• U.S Congressional District 2, currently held by Rep. Jason Lewis, GOP.

• State House District 52A, currently held by Rep. Rick Hansen, DFL.

• State House District 52B, currently held by Rep. Regina Barr, GOP.

• State House District 54A, currently held by Rep. Keith Franke, GOP.

• Dakota County Attorney, currently held by James Backstrom.

• Dakota County Sheriff, currently held by Tim Leslie.

• South St. Paul City Council, three seats.

• West St. Paul mayor, currently held by Jenny Halverson, who has announced she will not be running for re-election.

• West St. Paul City Council, three seats.

• Inver Grove Heights mayor, currently held by George Tourville.

• Inver Grove Heights City Council, two seats.

• Lilydale mayor, currently held by Warren Peterson.

• Lilydale City Council, three seats.

• Mendota Heights mayor, currently held by Neil Garlock.

• Mendota Heights City Council, two seats.

• Mendota mayor, currently held by Brian Mielke.

• Mendota City Council, two seats.

• Sunfish Lake mayor, currently held by Richard Williams.

• Sunfish Lake City Council, two seats.

• South St. Paul Public Schools Board, four seats.


To run for office, one must meet the following requirements: be a citizen of the United States, be an eligible voter, pay all filing fees or present a petition in place of the filing fee, complete an affidavit of candidacy and complete and file a campaign finance report.

For more information on filing requirements visit

Where you file for office depends on the level of government you are filing for. If filing for a municipal office, file at the city or town hall of the municipality. For school district offices, file at the administrative building for the school district. If wishing to file for county offices, file at the Dakota County Administration Center, 1000 11th St. W. in Hastings. 

If you are filing for the Legislature, file at the administration center if you live in Dakota County, or at the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, 180 State Office Building, 100 Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. in St. Paul.

For federal office filings, you should file at the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State. 

For more information call Dakota County Voting and Elections at 651-438-4305. Contact the Secretary of State’s office at or at 651-215-1440.

The Minnesota primary election is on Aug. 14, and the general election is on Nov. 6.


— Hannah Burlingame

Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here