Tartan rally comes up short in boys lacrosse state tournament

For a team that blew away most of its opponents in the regular season, Tartan High School boys lacrosse proved adept at rallying during the post-season. The Titans needed a comeback in the section final in order to qualify for the state tournament and put together a furious rally in the state quarterfinals.

Unlike with its section final rally, however, Tartan was unable to come back all the way against Wayzata at state. The Trojans survived to claim a 9-8 victory and advance to the semifinals.

With the loss, Tartan dropped into the consolation bracket, where it saw its season come to a conclusion. Eagan beat the Titans 15-7 to move on to the consolation final.

The 0-2 mark in the state tournament gave Tartan a final record of 15-3. The Titans won their first conference championship, their first section title and became the first Tartan lacrosse team to play in the state tournament.

That first taste of the state tournament didn’t turn out like they’d hoped but the Titans showed that they’re never out of a game.


Nearly a comeback, again

Like it did against White Bear Lake in the section final, Tartan, the fourth seed, got off to a slow start against fifth-seeded Wayzata in the state quarterfinals on June 15 at Minnetonka High School. The Trojans scored the first six goals of the game and led by seven goals midway through the third quarter.

Up to that point, Tartan had gotten goals from Wyatt Toll and Charles Tabaka. The Titans would add two more in the last half of the third period as Sam Lindahl scored unassisted with 6:31 left and John Reeves scored off of an assist from Lindahl with 3:45 to play.

The fourth quarter was all Tartan but it took the Titans a while to get going again. Robert Veitch ended a long dry spell by both teams when he scored with Wayzata two men down with 5:50 to play. 

Lindahl wasted little time, 21 seconds to be exact, putting another score up on the board. That pulled Tartan to within three goals and had the Titans’ faithful hearkening back to the White Bear Lake section match. Tartan trailed the Bears by four late in the third quarter and by three going to the fourth. The Titans scored the only three goals of the fourth to force overtime, where Lindahl won it.

Lindahl continued to work on that hero angle against Wayzata as he made it a two-goal affair with his third goal of the contest with 4:23 left. The Titans went with the quick-strike plan again as Toll, off an assist by Tabaka, scored 20 seconds after Lindahl to make the score 9-8 with 4:03 left. 

Those four fourth-quarter goals came in a span of one minute and 47 seconds. 

With all the momentum on its side, Tartan looked ready to at least tie it up and force overtime. Wayzata had other thoughts, though, and was able to hold off the Titans over the final four minutes. Included in that stretch was a two-man advantage for Tartan in the final minute.

Andrew Henderson had Tartan’s best shot at the tying goal during the man-down situation but was stopped via a solid save by Wayzata goalie Will Ramert. The Trojans were then able to clear the ball downfield and bleed the clock down to secure the victory.

Lindahl finished with five points on three goals and two assists while Tabaka scored once and assisted twice. Henderson, Toll, Reeves and Veitch had a goal apiece. Tartan goaltender Benjamin Brunton made 10 saves.


Consolation game

Wayzata went on to lose 13-6 to top-seeded Lakeville North in the semifinals.

Tartan and unseeded Eagan met in the consolation semifinals on June 16 at Chanhassen High School. The Wildcats were a 14-11 loser to top-seeded Lakeville North in the quarterfinals.

The Titans were able to avoid the slow starts that plagued them in their last two games. Bradley Herzog and Henderson scored in the first 67 seconds to give Tartan a 2-0 lead.

Eagan answered with three straight goals before Nicholas Amerongen tied it for Tartan. Eagan then took a 4-3 lead 21 seconds later and that’s how the score stood at the end of the first quarter.

Tabaka and Veitch tallied second-period scores to help Tartan go into halftime tied at 5-5.

Eagan then took control in the third quarter with four goals while Tartan could muster only a goal by Reeves.

The fourth quarter was all Wildcats as they outscored Tartan 6-1. Lindahl tallied the Titans’ lone fourth-quarter score.

Henderson and Tabaka both finished with a goal and an assist. Also recording assists were Jacob Hartzell and CJ Acker. Brunton finished with seven saves.

The final day of the state tournament was held past the deadline for this edition of the Review. The consolation final featured Anoka against Eagan while Eden Prairie and Wayzata met for third place. The championship came down to a match-up between Lakeville North and No. 2 seed Prior Lake


Brian Meyers can be reached at bmeyers@lillienews.com or 651-748-7819. Follow him on Twitter @BMeyersNews.


State high school boys lacrosse tournament


Game 1 -- Eden Prairie 11, Anoka 5

Game 2 -- Prior Lake 12, Blake 0

Game 3 -- Wayzata 9, Tartan 8

Game 4 -- Lakeville North 14, Eagan 11



Game 5 -- Prior Lake 9, Eden Prairie 7

Game 6 -- Lakeville North 13, Wayzata 6


Consolation semifinals

Game 7 -- Anoka 10, Blake 7

Game 8 -- Eagan 15, Tartan 7


Consolation final

Game 9 -- Anoka vs. Eagan


Third-place game

Game 10 -- Eden Prairie vs. Wayzata


Championship game

Game 11 -- Prior Lake vs. Lakeville North


Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here